Kerala Style- Drumstick Sambar.
You can have Kerala Style- Drumstick Sambar using 16 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Kerala Style- Drumstick Sambar
- Prepare 1 cup of tur dal, soaked for 15 minutes.
- Prepare 1 of onion.
- It’s 6 of garlic cloves.
- You need 1 of big ginger piece 1 tbsp when chopped).
- It’s 1/2 cup of grated coconut.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of sambhar powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of tamarind pulp.
- It’s 3 of drumsticks/ vegetables of your choice.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of fenugreek seeds.
- You need 2 pinch of asafoetida.
- Prepare of Salt.
- You need of Curry leaves as required.
- You need 2 of dry red chilli.
- You need of Coconut oil as required.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ghee.
Kerala Style- Drumstick Sambar step by step
- Pressure cook tur dal in water with turmeric powder and a little salt, until cooked..
- Boil drumsticks with a little salt, few curry leaves and 1 tsp sambhar powder until they are half cooked..
- Add cooked tur dal and continue cooking on low flame..
- Heat up 1 tbsp coconut oil in a pan. Add fenugreek seeds. Add roughly chopped onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté until the onion is pinkish..
- Add grated coconut. Continue cooking on medium flame while you stir it occasionally..
- After 5 minutes add sambhar powder and a few curry leaves. Sauté just for another minute..
- Switch off the flame. Add tamarind pulp mixed in some water. Mix well. This will bring the temperature down for grinding..
- Grind it to fine paste when cool..
- Add this masala in the boiling dal-drumsticks and mix..
- Add more water if needed. This sambhar is a little thicker than usual sambhar..
- For seasoning heat up 2 tbsp coconut oil, add mustard and let it crackle. Put asafoetida, bits of dry chilli and curry leaves. Add it to the dal..
- Serve it with a drizzle of melted ghee. Best with steamed rice and fried papadam..