You can have Vada Pav using 21 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vada Pav
- Prepare of For the Potato Stuffing:.
- It’s 4 of Large Potatoes.
- It’s 4 tsp of Oil.
- You need 1 tsp of Mustard Seeds.
- You need Pinch of Asafoetida.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Chana Dal (Soaked in water for 10 minutes).
- Prepare 4 of Green Chillies (Chopped).
- It’s 1 of Garlic (Chopped).
- It’s 1 inch of Ginger or 1 tbsp Ginger Paste.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Lemon Juice.
- You need 1 tbsp of Coriander Leaves (Chopped).
- You need to taste of Salt.
- It’s of For the Batata Covering:.
- You need 3/4 cup of Gram Flour / besan.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Red Chilli Powder.
- Prepare Pinch of Asafoetida.
- You need Pinch of Baking Soda.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- It’s as needed of Water To make the batter.
- Prepare as needed of Oil (For Frying).
Vada Pav step by step
- Wash and steam the potatoes. Peel the skin and mash it well using a potato masher. It should be lumps free. Keep aside..
- In a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add chana dal, ginger, garlic, green chillies and saute for a minute until the raw smell leaves. Add the turmeric powder and salt and saute for 30 seconds. Add the mashed potatoes. Mix well until well cooked. Check for salt. Add lemon juice and allow it to cool completely. Garnish with coriander leaves. (Make sure that the potato stuffing is completely dry and has less moisture.).
- Once the potato filling is cooled, take a portion of it, the size of a tennis ball, and roll into balls and keep aside on a plate..
- To make the batter: In a deep bowl, add gram flour, salt, red chilli powder, asafoetida, baking soda and water (as required) and make a batter similar to dosa batter and keep aside..
- Heat the oil for frying. Now dip the potato balls into the gram flour batter and fry in oil. Let all the sides of the vada get cooked well. Remove from oil and place on a kitchen paper to absorb the extra oil. (Make sure that the oil is in medium to high flame for the vadas to be evenly cooked.).
- Serve as vadas alongwith green chutney or keep them aside to make vada pav..