Red Velvet Cupcakes.
You can have Red Velvet Cupcakes using 12 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Prepare of sifted cake flour.
- Prepare of baking powder.
- Prepare of salt.
- It’s of regular or Dutch-processed cocoa powder.
- Prepare of unsalted butter at room temperature.
- It’s of granulated white sugar.
- Prepare of egg.
- It’s of pure vanilla extract.
- Prepare of buttermilk (or add 1/2 tbsp of white/cider vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 a cup of milk and let stand 5-10 minutes).
- It’s of liquid red food coloring.
- It’s of white distilled vinegar.
- You need of baking soda.
Red Velvet Cupcakes step by step
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C) and line muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- With an electric or with a hand mixer, beat the butter till soft (about1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla extract and beat until combined..
- In a measuring cup whisk the buttermilk with the red food coloring. With the mixer on low speed, alternatively add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour..
- In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter..
- Working quickly, divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean..
- Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Let cool completely before frosting, if desired..
- Makes 12 cupcakes..