Chewy Bagels in 90 Minutes.
You can cook Chewy Bagels in 90 Minutes using 7 ingredients and 17 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Chewy Bagels in 90 Minutes
- It’s 300 grams of Bread flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Sugar.
- You need 3 grams of Salt.
- It’s 3/4 tsp of Dry yeast.
- You need 160 grams of Lukewarm water (warm to the touch).
- You need 1 tbsp of for 1 liter of water Honey for boiling.
- Prepare 1 of Flour for dusting.
Chewy Bagels in 90 Minutes instructions
- Add yeast to the lukewarm water, mix and dissolve to activate..
- Combine the bread flour, sugar, salt and the yeast from Step 1 in a large bowl..
- Mix all the ingredients in the bowl by hand. When the dough comes together and is no longer floury, move to a working surface..
- Using palms of both hands, knead the dough by pressing it away from you over and over again for 3-5 minutes (you'll see the dough gradually moistening and holding together)..
- (Note) You could also use a bread machine until this step! Set the machine before you leave the house and when you come back it is done..
- Using a knife, divide the dough into 6 portions. Roll each dough into a smooth ball. (Let it rest for 10 minutes) Cover the dough with slightly damp cloth..
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough to about 20 cm in length. Tuck in both ends..
- Shape the dough into rings by covering one end over the other. Close the seam tightly. (These are pre-risen sesame bagels in the photo)..
- Place the dough onto a cookie sheet, cover it with damp cloth, and allow it to rise at 25℃ room temperature [Proof for 45 minutes] When the room is cold, I put the tray on top of a skillet with hot water..
- Ref) They will look like these after 40-45 minutes of rising (these are sesame bagels). The dough has doubled in size..
- 10 minutes before rising finishes, start preheating the oven to 190℃ (if you are using a portable oven, place the baking sheet on top to help the dough to rise)..
- 5 minutes before rising finishes, bring some water to a boil in a large skillet and melt the honey (use the skillet that was used in Step 9, so you will have one less thing to clean)..
- Adjust step 12 so the water is boiling gently, slide in the dough top side down first for a minute, flip the dough and boil the other side for another minute..
- Scoop up the bagel and immediately place it onto the cooking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes in a 190℃ oven and it is done!.
- I split the bagel in half by hand! It has a wonderfully nice and smooth texture! Toast and enjoy its crunchiness!.
- Black sesame bagels. The aroma of the sesame is exquisite!.
- ma-natto bagels. Make the dough long and thin then spread and roll up the ama-natto into the dough. The soft texture of the ama-natto is perfect with the bagels!.